Inspiration + How to practice
Tim Miller’s essay “The Alchemy of Yoga.”
Ashtanga Yoga: Ann Arbor’s house recommendations on practicing (a laudably concise, incredibly helpful guide)
More on Ashtanga
- Guy Donahaye’s Ashtanga Yoga Shala NYC website has a great collection of articles, interviews, public talks and videos.
- Petri Raisanen‘s description + list of benefits (including “A research trip in your body mind.”
- The InsideOwl blog offered one perspective of the Ashtanga method that sort of rocked my world when I first read it — namely, a series of constraints placed on the ego.
- “Ashtanga Yoga Background” article posted on Ashtanga.com.
- Listen to the traditional opening invocation and the closing prayer (referred to as the Mangala mantra). Then listen to another version.
- The documentary Guruji.