Inspiration + How to practice
Tim Miller’s essay “The Alchemy of Yoga.”
Ashtanga Yoga: Ann Arbor’s house recommendations on practicing (a laudably concise, incredibly helpful guide)
More on Ashtanga
- Guy Donahaye’s Ashtanga Yoga Shala NYC website has a great collection of articles, interviews, public talks and videos.
- Petri Raisanen‘s description + list of benefits (including “A research trip in your body mind.”
- The InsideOwl blog offered one perspective of the Ashtanga method that sort of rocked my world when I first read it — namely, a series of constraints placed on the ego.
- “Ashtanga Yoga Background” article posted on Ashtanga.com.
- Listen to the traditional opening invocation and the closing prayer (referred to as the Mangala mantra). Then listen to another version.
Check out the official info on studying in Mysore. Read Elephantbean’s list of bloggers posting from Mysore and some articles on Gokulam. A trip to Mysore is not in the cards for me just yet, but I hope one day to make this journey.
Practice cards, books and DVDs
Practice cards are no substitute for a good Ashtanga yoga teacher and consistent practice, and some ashtangis despise them. But I have to admit I love collecting practice cards. It’s interesting to see the subtle (or sometimes not so subtle) differences in the way different teachers have taught the series, depending on when they were taught the method in Mysore. Though not comprehensive, Ashtanga.com has the best collection of practice cards I’ve seen in a single place. If you don’t have the money to order one of these, you can find a free PDF download of the primary series sequence from Ashtanga Yoga Canada.
The YogaRose.net online store is now open. Easily access all the books and videos I reference in my blog posts.
The Ashtanga Yoga + Social Media Grid, curated by YogaRose.net, launched in September 2011.
Ashtanga rugs, mat bags and other supplies
- I love the cargo bag made by Saka Yoga. This bag fits my mat, my rug, towels, clothes, books, shoes and more.
- Practice rugs from Barefootyoga.com
Last updated: Aug. 25, 2012